Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tempted...yet again

1 Corinthians 10:13 (nlt)
But remember, the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out, so you will not give in to it.
Even though I have changed a lot in the last 6 months, and we just had this verse in SOD, it seems I’ve already forgotten. Satan has been sitting here throwing at me all of the temptations that used to cause me to fail at being obedient to God. In the past, my flesh would win the battle. As I sit here and struggle with these things YET AGAIN, I can’t help but think, am I paying attention.
Let’s review (if you care to). First, I must remember that the temptations are things we all face. Mine may come in a different form, but they’re no different than yours. Next, God is faithful. How often this statement is forgotten. When things get rough, we turn to God, but do we truly believe he will help? He is faithful, and He does come through.
Now these next points are extremely important when dealing temptation. For me, anyhow. He will keep the temptation from being too strong for me to resist. Well, this brings me to the point that God apparently knows I’m a lot stronger than I feel I am. I feel weak. I feel like I can’t do it. God is powerful. He gives us our power. I have that power within me. He has given us the power to stand up against it, and He won’t let it be more than we have power to resist. And He shows us a way out. I have found that normally, he gives us more than one way out. He opens doors all around to run the other way from the temptation. It then becomes our responsibility to either open the door of temptation and face the consequences, or open the door of righteousness. He has clearly stated that we have the ability to overcome the temptations through Him. So now I ask myself, what’s the problem then? He is faithful, and gives us the power to win against satan. I often forget the power I have within me through Christ. Even recently. I’m so glad that even in my failures He’s loving, full of grace and mercy. I’m glad for His instruction. He knew we’d all face this problem. He knows our weaknesses and how hard it is for us to overcome temptation in this fleshy world. So He left us this verse, so that we will know, we are His children and He takes care of us. Sometimes, we just need to pay attention.

No comments: