Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Life and Kids

I have had a lot going on lately with trying to buy a house, and serving alot at church. For those of you who don't know what serving at church is... I help out in the children's ministry watching kids and sorta trying to teach some of them...lol, and I also help out with cleaning, cooking, setting things up... basically, wherever help is needed. And I must say, there is so much joy in serving when you do it for the right reasons. I find great joy in the fellowship of others knowing that my service to God and others is helping lead others to Christ to find the joy that I have (and have recently tried to let slip through my fingers). (more blogging to come)

So buying a home.... First time for me. I had no idea what was involved in that. But God willing it will be over Monday and I'll be moving into my new home. Woohoo.

Now... the good stuff. My son is 13 (for those of you who don't know). He's a very handsome, tall boy. He's i think around 5'10" now. Which is scary. Since I'm 5'8". I have discovered that he likes to pick me up. And i mean literally pick me up. Now in most cases if a man tries to literally pick me up i have no trust that they will not drop me. However, with Austin, I don't really worry about it like I do with others. I have also discovered that he likes to talk to me. Sometimes, this is a pain when I'm on the phone or what not. But how blessed am I that my thirteen year old boy wants to talk to me about the girl drama at school or whatever is going on? I try to make sure that he knows I care about what's going on with him. I also tell him not to be messing with all these girls that have boyfriends and consider him their best friend and well... that's a whole nother story. Last night I tried to no avail to get him to leave the room so I could converse on the phone, but he really wanted to be in the room with me. I thought it to be quite annoying, but I love him so much and am so grateful that at 13 he's okay hanging out in my room on my bed with me. I won't go into details the conversation I had to have about dildos and douches. And yes, even as a Christian, I have to have these kinds of conversations with my kid. Some of you are like ... YIKES.. public schools. But look, he knows about stuff. But he also knows God's love for him and God's desire for him to wait til he's married. And the school has showed him some pictures of STDs so I'm pretty sure he's scared at this point. LOL. Anyhow, I just wanted to share how blessed I am to have this kind of relationship with my teenage son. There are times we totally don't get along... of course. But it's nights like those, that I feel totally blessed to be a single mom and have that kind of relationship where he knows he can talk to me.

No comments: